This year Diabetes Week (UK) will run from Sunday 9th June till Saturday 15th June. The event(s) are coordinated by Diabetes UK and the main theme is Research. They will be looking at the whole arena of research into diabetes: giving you an insight into how they are working to improve the lives of people with diabetes. More importantly they will be giving you the chance to become part of their research story.
Whether you’ve benefited from a research project or are holding a fundraising event for Diabetes Week, they will be sharing the stories on the Diabetes UK website and social media pages. To find out more about Diabetes Week, visit www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Diabetes-Week/ .
I am half way through my own research project with Diabetes UK: looking at how “social marketing can help change the health behaviours of individuals living with diabetes”. For more information about the project please visit the Diabetes UK Research Page.
To help celebrate the week I will be giving a presentation about my research to Diabetes UK Bromley Support Group. It will be held at:
Bromley Parish Church
St Peter and St Paul
Bromley BR2 0EG
Starting at 7.30 p.m. with refreshments, wine, cheese and a chat to follow.
Here are some facts about diabetes that you may find interesting (source World Health Organisation):
- 347 million people worldwide have diabetes.
- In 2004, an estimated 3.4 million people died from consequences of high fasting blood sugar.
- More than 80% of diabetes deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries.
- WHO projects that diabetes will be the 7th leading cause of death in 2030.
- Healthy diet, regular physical activity, maintaining a normal body weight and avoiding tobacco use can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Latest posts by Alan Shaw (see all)
- Understanding The Concepts of Eigenvector Centrality And Pagerank - July 13, 2019
- Creating a Group in a box Layout in NodeXL - April 11, 2019
- The Role of Social Media in the B2B Environment - March 17, 2019
- Social listening: procedures and practices. - February 24, 2019
- Gephi Statistics: Degree - January 25, 2019