Understanding SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is a task that all business managers, marketers, web developers and bloggers should master. It is the process of improving the visibility of a web page in a search engine’s organic search results.
This blog provides the reader with two videos that explains the basics of search engine optimisation. More specifically after viewing the video you will:
- Have a better understanding of Search Engines.
- Know what tools you can use to test your websites effectiveness.
- Understand the procedures you need to follow to maximise your position in search engine results.
It starts by explaining what a search engine is. You should note that there are in fact three types of Search Engines:
- Crawlers, spiders or robots (bots) like Google and Ask Jeeves.
- Directory or Human Powered like Mahalo.com and ChaCha.com
- Meta which take the results of the popular search engines then generate a new set of results: Dogpile.com is a good example.
Users will also learn how to:
- Check if your site is indexed.
- Run a Search Engine Results Page (SERP) for your key terms.
- Set and compare the benchmark KPIs for your site.
- Manage KPIs and use various free tools.
A point to note: you will see that the content management system show in the video has a Keywords section, this is now not relevant because Google have stated that keywords are no longer an important part of the SEO algorithm. I would argue that you do need at l (set of) keyword(s) because that is how you will be found. My recommendation is to have it as the page title.
I hope you find the videos useful. If you have any points to add or comments then please let me know.
Other articles you might find interesting:
- Visually Optimise Your Websites and Adverts
- The Changing Digital Landscape
- Cookie Regulations For Bloggers
- Understanding E-Mail Marketing
- Map Your Twitter Followers